August 6, 2014

Blue Apron Review- Recipe 1

In the last month or so I've see a serious amount of ads for Blue Apron and, me being extremely susceptible to advertising, finally gave in.  Blue Apron is service that delivers all the ingredients for three meals to your door every week.  Considering the fact that I'm awful about cooking dinner and we really want to start eating more healthy, fresh food, I thought this would be a great little experiment for us.

Last week we finally decided to order, and yesterday we got our first box!

(Please excuse my bad photography throughout).  I was so excited to open it up and check everything out, I forgot to take any picture of the inside.  I was too tired to get cooking though, so I put that off until today.

For our first recipe we decided to try out Rice & Beef-Stuffed Poblano Peppers.



Honestly, I picked this first because this seemed like the recipe that was most outside of our box, so I kinda wanted to get it over with. So I pulled out the handy dandy recipe card and unpacked the ingredients, which were all nicely separated and pre-measured.  (Also please excuse the messy counter :) ). What I really liked about the recipe card is that it went step by step, and told you how to time things, that's always something I have trouble with.




I started off cooking rice as instructed... which didn't go so well.  I was so busy chopping the onions I forgot to turn down the heat and burned it :(.  Luckily I had some extra quinoa, so I got that started instead.  I figured it was a healthier option anyway, and it tasted just fine.

Next I roasted myself some peppers



It took a little longer than instructed (and I still don't think I got them fully cooked).  Then I got the meat cooked, stuffed the peppers, cooked them a little more, and we were good to go!  They didn't end up as pretty as the picture, but oh well.


Then came the real test, try them out!  I was a little worried at first, but they were great!  I finished off my plate, and the hubs finished his plate and all of the extra filling we had! Definitely out of our comfort zone, especially as we were both wary of the pepper, and I used some new ingredients I never would have thought of using myself, but its definitely something I'd like to make again.  My only complaint, more of a misunderstanding really, was that I had thought all the ingredients would come pre-prepped, but they didn't.  Really, not a big deal to have to chop up and onion and some garlic, but its not my favorite thing to do.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment